Coronavirus – What we are doing.
As Coronavirus can be more severe in older people with existing medical conditions the Formby Befriending Scheme has taken a number of steps to ensure the safety of vulnerable older people and volunteer befrienders whilst still working to reduce social isolation where possible.
- Coffee clubs have been suspended until further notice to avoid potential exposure to infection
- One to one support from befrienders will adapt to individual circumstances. If a befriender or befriendee is self isolating, support may be offered by telephone.
- We have contacted the majority of our befriendees and our volunteers and will keep in regular contact to assess support that maybe required over the next few weeks.
- Our volunteers will be keeping in touch with their befriendee wherever possible
- We are working with charities, local organisations e.g. Rotary, U3A and others to understand what support is needed and available in Formby.
- Everyone who can is being encouraged to offer support to friends and neighbours who may be self-isolating. Click here for more information.
- We are looking at tangible ways to let people know we are thinking about them, some of the ideas include the delivery of cards, small bars of chocolate, puzzle books etc. Hopefully we can look at circulating a news-sheet every couple of weeks with positive news stories and information. Any suggestions about this are welcome.
Coronavirus – What you can do.
- Handwashing for 20 seconds is the most effective way to prevent spread of the virus. Wiping door handles and other surfaces will also help to prevent transmission.
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water isn’t available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Follow the government guidelines as they emerge https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response
- For people who think that they have coronavirus, you are now being directed to the online 111 service https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19/ rather than ringing 111.
- If you are able to volunteer to help an older neighbour, relative or friend who can’t get out please do so. Telephone support and help with shopping, getting medicines delivered may be very helpful. Click here for more information.